Thursday, January 14, 2010

Emmer Says NO And Other Capitol Excitement

January 14, 2009
State Capitol - Saint Paul, Minnesota
By Marty Owings

I contacted Representative Tom Emmer (R) today to ask him about rumors that he might be interested in becoming Norm Coleman's running mate, should Coleman enter the race for Governor. Emmer stated flatly that he had no interest in the idea and added that he's been focused on his own campaign and hadn't really given it much thought.

Emmer added that with the momentum his campaign has gained, as well as some key recent endorsements, he is, "really excited and energized about the campaign." Emmer has done well in straw polls and his campaign has been on an upward trend since he entered the race. Emmer's appeal to the conservative base is strong and his ability to connect with everyday Minnesotans is probably stronger than others in the current GOP field.

I asked Emmer if he had any thoughts regarding speculation that Norm Coleman may enter the race but he declined to comment. Instead, Emmer says he's going to, "continue to work on my campaign and focus on the things I can control." I asked him if he'd given any consideration to who his own running mate might be, but he said it was a bit too soon to think about that. Emmer has likely formulated a list of possible candidates, but as of today he's not ready to share them.

In other Capitol news... I happened to be walking through the ground level at the Capitol when I noticed several secuirty personnel running toward the south-east enterance. Curiousity got the best of me and so I followed them. When I arrived at the building exit, there were several officers and more arriving on the street. I noticed the glass had been smashed in several of the doors, see photo's. I asked what happened and was informed that a man had thrown rocks through the glass doors and fled on foot. I was tempted to ask if it was one of the gubenatorial candidates or maybe a Lobbyist but the cops looked a little too serious.

As I was leaving, I overheard someone say they apprehended the guy a block or two away. If things don't work out with Lariano, the Twins might want to consider signing the guy after his legal troubles with vandalism are cleared up, because I saw at least one of the rocks he threw and it was no bigger than a lemon, but he managed to hurl it through half inch plate glass from a distance....and he hit all three targets almost dead center.

Radio Free Nation 2010 - All Rights Reserved


No comments: