Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Does Rush Limbaugh deserve "Worn Out Dogma" label?

Minneapolis, Minnesota - January 21, 2009


During his inaugural address President Obama mentioned "Worn Out Dogma" and the first thing that came to many minds after "Washington partisanship" was all the far Right Wing propaganda programming that's been darkening the American media landscape for the past dozen years or longer.

I can think of no more appropriate way to describe Rush Limbaugh than the words "worn out dogma", after all the phrase seems to fit him so well. Someone should tell Mr. Limbaugh that the era of loud mouth, partisan, middle aged, over weight white guys who twist the truth is so 90's. He really needs an intervention by his closest friends and family, but I fear he won't get it. He won't get that needed intervention because he's riding the success of being America's most popular Right Wing propagandist and because he's surrounded himself with those who depend on him to keep doing the same thing he's always done.

While he may never receive that needed intervention, I think over time he will come to the stubborn realization that he really has become a "worn out dogma". It may only be after his ratings fall and his syndication is reduced, but it will most certainly come. Until that time Mr. Limbaugh will continue to get more desperate for the attention he once garnered. Oh, don't get me wrong, he will no doubt continue to get support from his "dittoheads" and that narrow, shrinking band of American's who remain bitter, angry and depressed by the resurgence of the Democratic Party and the election of Barack Obama.

As an example of just how that deperation will manifest itself, he recently stated the following:

"My hope, and please understand me when I say this. I disagree fervently with the people on our side of the aisle who have caved and who say, 'Well, I hope he succeeds. We've got to give him a chance.' Why? They didn't give Bush a chance in 2000. Before he was inaugurated, the search-and-destroy mission had begun. I'm not talking about search-and-destroy, but I've been listening to Barack Obama for a year-and-a-half. I know what his politics are. I know what his plans are, as he has stated them. I don't want them to succeed."

"Liberalism is our problem. Liberalism is what's gotten us dangerously close to the precipice here. Why do I want more of it? I don't care what the drive-by story is. I would be honored if the drive-by media headlined me all day long: 'Limbaugh: I Hope Obama Fails.' Somebody's gotta say it."

Mr. Limbaugh continues to focus on outdated themes and rhetoric that most Americans have by now rejected as hyperbole. Simply put, his ideas which are often filled with sarcasm and anger will eventually fade from the collective conscience as Americans find that its healthier to embrace something more promising than a worn out dogma.

No comments: