Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The Press Continues To Fight For Access!

Saint Paul, Minnesota
March 11, 2009
By Marty Owings

Many thanks to David Brauer for his article at http://www.minnpost.com/.

Now to clear a few things up. First, I think we can now accept as fact that this would have gone NOWHERE if Marty and few guys from the UpTake were pressing the issue alone. Maybe it took the now infamous "Recording Rules" to bring it home for others. Whatever it was, we little guys appreciate the help.

So how do I know it was going NOWHERE? Well, because I knocked on doors, made calls, sent emails, and happily followed various unwritten convoluted processes I was told to follow, even spoke with more than thirty Legislators....and believe me, it was going NOWHERE.

I won't say there weren't Legislators or others trying hard to help out because there clearly were. Representative Hayden, Clark, Champion, Slawik and others all made inquiries and follow ups and were definitely interested in getting us, the online media, greater access. They probably played a significant role in moving it forward, to the extent it is. There were also those in the media both "mainstream" and "new" trying to help with this issue, some loudly, some more quietly.

Maybe there is a more profound issue in all of this. Maybe its fear. Fear among both the media and the Politicians. For some folks in the media perhaps it was viewed as someone else's fight or maybe they had a fear about spending "political capital" in a battle which they felt really didn't involve them. After all, they weren't throwing FOX news out of public meetings.

For my part, I'll also admit to being afraid. I didn't want to start my job at the Capitol by irritating half the Legislature, all of the Leaderhsip and the Chief Sgt At Arms. Maybe, I'm too stupid or too new at politics to know better, but one things for sure, I'm a bad quitter and that usually blinds me, at least temporarily, to the fear.

As for the Law Makers, I think there are probably some paranoid people who are worried about how they might look or sound if caught in a public meeting or space saying or doing something stupid. Its happened before, it'll happen again. A serious concern for some elected officials.

Perhaps, there are Law Makers who are genuinely putting their fears above principle. And then there are the "Trackers" that some Legislators point to as scary partisan political parasites who are looking to get them thrown out of office. Trackers are hired to document a Legislator in an attempt to embarass or dig up dirt on them. (Note: I've yet to meet any or even see any, but then again they're probably undercover.)

Then there's the whole issue about who is a Journalist and who isn't. It seems like a lot of hogwash designed to distract us from the real issue. After all, some of the best Journalists in history started with a printing press and an elementary education. And to be fair the same could be said for some of the greatest Political Leaders. Maybe we need to start asking who is and isn't a real Poltical Leader?

If this whole thing isn't an example of dubious and perhaps poor decision making, it's been an intentional attempt to "weed" out certain types of media or media types. Whether it is intentional or not it has had the same effect...it reduced and continues to reduce the transparency of our public officials and institutions. The Press at the Capitol has been severely diminished by the failing newspaper industry as well as the worsening economy and for some people in power that may suit them just fine. The fewer camera's and recorders hanging around the halls the better. (I'll get to that in a minute)

Mary Lahammer (bless her heart) had both Rep. Sertich and Rep. Seifert on Almanac tonight and asked them directly about these issues. Leader Sertich promised they were going to open up more access. We hope so. And we hope it happens very soon. But it was also mentioned that they worry about people "hanging out in the halls"....hey wait a minute, that's me, that's what I do. I hang out in the halls, hoping I can bring your story or thoughts about issues to the people of Minnesota.

I don't get invited to the big news conferences or get Press releases or even those exclusive interviews with the "BIG" hitters, but I show up...every day, looking for a story, hoping they'll talk to my listeners, readers and viewers. Hoping they'll talk to Minnesotan's.

One final note on all this. There have been a lot of people, both out front and behind the scenes, working on this, both from "traditional" media and "new" media. Some have been fighting this for years, others have recently come to the table, myself included. All seem to be united in the idea that a Free Press at the Capitol transcends turf or competition or even political ideology. They care about the principle. Yeah, I know its not in fashion right now, but it is important, it is noble and how often do we get to do something both important and noble.

Hat's off to Andy Driscoll of Civic Media MN for working so hard to make sure people would hear this story. To the Minnesota Independent for being out front on this. To Shawn Towle for not giving up. To Mary Lahammer for having more balls than some tough guys I know. To Noah and Jason for making the trail less rocky. To Tom Hauser for being a newsman. To Jay Weiner, Bill Salisbury, Don Davis, Eric Escola, Chris Steller, Paul Schmelzer, Art Hughes, Aethan Hart, Bill Werner, Tom Scheck, Mary Turck, Mike McIntee, Chuck Olsen, Pat Kessler, Esme Murphy, Richar Bowring and David Brauer. I know I missed some of you and if I did, I am sorry. Thank you for your efforts.

It isn't over yet and we aren't divided. Stay tuned.

No comments: